Waste Water Treatment Plant
The Town of Benson operates a 1.9 MGD Waste Water Treatment Plant. This plant treats wastewater from the town.
Town of Benson Fee Schedule
Reporting Water Problems
To report any changes or problems with drinking water such as discoloration, odor, or taste, please contact Public Works at 919-894-3553.
- Inside the city limits: $11.50 base charge and $4.29 per 1,000 gallons.
- Outside the city limits: $13.50 base charge and $6.93 per 1,000 gallons.
Meter Tampering Fees
- Cut Seal/ Lock: EL or WA meters; LM Switch $50.00
- EL/ Water Meter Tamp: Manipulating device $500.00 + Usage
- Load Management Tamp: Manipulating device $200.00
Meter Test Fee
- $50 (3/4" Water Meter)
- $75 (1" Water Meter)
- Inside the city limits: $13.50 base charge and $5.29 per 1,000 gallons.
- Outside the city limits: $15 base charge and $8.96 per 1,000 gallons.
Water & Sewer Tap Fees
- Connection Charge for Water Taps: $600 minimum OR Town of Benson Cost of Installation; whichever is greater
- Connection Charge for Sewer Taps: $1,100 minimum OR Town of Benson Cost of Installation; whichever is greater
Taps larger than those listed above will be charged material and labor in addition to the basic charges. An example would be a 1-inch water tap costing $100 in additional material and labor, bringing the total cost of the tap to $500 inside the city limits and $600 inside the city limits. However, this cost is an example and may change without notice.
Sewer Backup Insurance Coverage
Did you know that damage resulting from sewer line backups is not covered by most property insurance? The only way to protect your home or business from such damage is to have coverage added to your policy by endorsement. This is not to be confused with flood insurance coverage. The Town of Benson is not responsible for any damage caused by blocked sewer lines and drains.
For more information about the treatment process or to tour the facilities, contact the Waste Water Treatment Plant at 919-894-2373.